Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Goodbye to Devin



This past Thursday marks my last day interning at Met Council this summer. While I am exciting for the coming school year, I cannot help but feel some nostalgia. It does not seem like seven weeks have passed, nor that summer is almost over. Every day in the office was a learning experience for me: whether it was about Met Council’s services, the state of poverty in this country, or even the people who I have had the pleasure of working with. I do not know where I will be working next summer; perhaps another stint at 80 Maiden Lane is in order. What I do know, however, is that the lessons and memories of my time here will stay with me for as long as I live. I will have the poor, the unemployed, the disadvantaged on my mind, and will never take for the granted the opportunities and comforts that I have so luckily been blessed with. Met Council and the people who work there have helped me come to realize that I am one small part of a greater community and country. But, with each of us working hard, we can end poverty, strife, and hunger in New York City, in the United States, and around world. I made a difference this summer, and for that I will be forever proud.
It has been great sharing my summer internship with you.

I hope that you too will get involved with Met Council and make a positive change in NYC!

No comments: